Monday, May 27, 2013

A Beautiful Day to Stitch

Alright. So during the past week I re-glued the broken joint..and it's looking super strong. I also bought fiberglass tape which I will use to reinforce the joints once I've stitched them. This cost $7. Today I set out to stitch the boat together. 
 This is the drill that I used to put over 60 holes in the side planks. I'll put that many more in the bottom plank while wiring. I like this drill because it is not electric. It's soundless.
Here is a video of stitching the side planks together to form the bow (as requested my Mr. Huerich):

 All was well and good, until I began to wire the sides and the wire from the bow tore through. This is fixable, but not ideal.

 I can now officially say I've put my own blood into the boat: (Sorry if that's gross)
Wiring is really hard, I learned. It's difficult to manage keeping the wood in position while trying to thread a piece of wire through the plank of wood, then bend it so that it fits through the other hole but still slides through and lines up. When one loop works, the other ones don't. As I shifted the wood here and there and attempted to balance it, the loops at the front continued to tear through. I had gotten the jigsaw out temporarily to lean the wood against, and but then while wiggling things around, it crashed onto the floor. The blade is not looking so good:
The blade is replaceable, and the bottom piece can turn back, but I spent a long time trying to look for the replacement blade, and detach the old one. Finally, I set it down for the day. 
I had meant to do all my wiring and zip through it, but things kept going wrong. Hopefully it'll work better tomorrow, once I think it through a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment