Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Is WISE an excuse to do weird things?

Lately I've found myself wandering around Ithaca High School while completely engrossed in "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Canoeing and Kayaking" and "Wooden Boat Magazine." My best friend has joked with me that these publications might be slightly embarrassing to be pulling out of my backpack every class period, and that maybe I should not share quotes with whoever I happen to be sitting next to. But I have decided I'm completely happy with being "that crazy girl building a canoe."

I have another book, "The Complete Guide to Boat Kits and Plans" which has a picture after picture of boats and the address of the person you can buy the plans from. I fell in love with the look of this one canoe. It's perfect. It's plywood. It's 11 ft long. Narrow. Classic canoe looking. The problem is, the book was published in 1996, so it's a little on the "vintage" side if you will. There is no email or phone number for the man who you would buy the plan from, just an address in England. So I sat down and hand wrote him a letter. It was pretty short-all it said was who I was, how I'd fallen in love with his boat design, and if/how I could purchase his plan. I gave him my email address. I'm not sure if that was a strange thing to do, and maybe it is a little far-fetched, but I'll mail it tomorrow, and I guess we'll see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post Julia! Don't hold back being called "that crazy girl building a canoe" it builds character. I'm sure I am that girl that's on pinterest looking at pottery all the time or spend all of my free periods in Ms. Lutter's art room. You're not alone! Sounds like your project is well on its way and on track. Good luck with everything! See you in school.

    ReplyDelete