Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What do I do now?

Part of this WISE journal is about being honest, right? Well, we're less than two weeks into the class now, and I'm sort of wondering what I'm supposed to be doing. I have so many ideas and thoughts and books and videos to watch that I feel like I'm lost in a huge mess of canoe-related things. I have read some of my other classmates' blogs, and it seems like they are speeding ahead without difficulty, but I'm wondering if they're experiencing any of the same doubts. I know my project is ambitious; I knew this from the beginning. As I'd been told, it would take "time, care, patience, and skill," and I was ready to tackle the project anyways. But as I research types of wood and resins and screws, I see it will be expensive and there's quite a chance I might really mess this up. I don't want this to come across the wrong way, I am still 100% excited about doing this. I'm just wondering if a simpler canoe is a better option. Rather than a strip canoe, perhaps I should make something more like this:

This is called a pirogue. It has a flat bottom, and long pieces for the sides. I found the plans for this boat first in a book, and then online.http://www.applegateboatworks.com/zydeco.html
I'm not sure if this is how I want to go or not yet, however.

1 comment:

  1. Your first two sentences are exactly how I feel. This whole week I have been sitting 4th period thinking of what to do when I'm not wheel throwing. I don't know whether I should be writing on my blog, but about WHAT? or researching. I feel a little lost as well. Keep working though we can do it!

    ReplyDelete