Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thursday

I met with my mentor today, Mr. Heurich. This was our third meeting, and I really like them. Mentor meetings always seem to renew my excitement for the project, and put new ideas in my head. We covered a lot of topics. We talked about epoxy vs. polyester resin, spent a while looking at really cool boats made of plastic bottles (the coolest thing I've ever seen!), and talked about building the "practice" out of cardboard as a scaled down version (so I don't end up with a 14 foot boat made of cardboard, because I don't know what I'd do with that.) I'm really just waiting for my plans to come, and then a million different things can start to happen. In the meantime, I can keep researching and gathering supplies.

Bad news: The Sailing Center told me they could only order wood at a minimum of $3000. That is A LOT more wood than I need. A lot! So I left a message for Danby Hardwood, who apparently sell 1/4th marine plywood, and have the number of someone else who might know where I could get some wood. There is also the lumberyard in Cortland, where I could always call or go to look. There are lots of options, I just need to find the right one. My last resort would be ordering the wood online, which would be alright, but I'd rather try to buy it more locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment