Thursday, March 7, 2013

Questions

I met with my mentor, Mr. Heurich, again today. We talked about a lot of things, one of which was time. I can see that if I'd like to do each step carefully and well, I may not finish the boat in time for the end of the class. I realized that is okay with me. I'd love to finish by then, and have a completed project, but I'd rather not rush through the important things. I think I'll learn more by not rushing, and be happier with the end result.
We decided that while I wait for wood to come, which should be late March, which is a little later than I wanted but at this point is my only option, I should practice the woodworking skills I will need, particularly the types of joints I will need to make, on scrap pieces of wood.
Today I also made a list of questions I'd like to answer before beginning the boat:
How necessary is it to use fiberglass cloth?
Do I need to use oil finish?
Do I need to use epoxy filler of does sawdust work the same way?
What does "unmanilla" mean?
Is chine tape the same as fiberglass tape?
What are the pros and cons of copper wire vs. steel baling wire?
What are the pros and cons of stainless steel vs. bronze screws?

No comments:

Post a Comment