Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Marine grade plywood is much harder to find than one might think.

My mom, brother, and I drove out to Danby Hardwood today to talk to the guy we'd contacted over the phone, and who'd said to bring my plans and he could look at them and try to help figure a few things out. We got out there, and the guy who was there was not the man we'd talked to, but a different guy, so we explained who we were and what we were looking for. He was not exactly the friendliest person in the world, and I think he was looking forward to heading out soon, so I don't think he was exactly happy to see us. In fact, he was a bit chilly. He didn't have any of the information on marine plywood that I had come looking for, but he said he'd call with it tomorrow. Essentially, the trip was sort of a disappointment.

however, I heard from a faily friend that there's a lumberyard in Syracuse that sells the plywood, and I wouldn't have to order it, I could just go get it. So I'm now searching through all 41 Google Search results for lumberyards in Syracuse to find the right one.

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about this frustration. It does sound like Syracuse is the best choice for you, however. Might your community contact have a recommendation for a Syracuse lumberyard? You might also want to look into the Binghamton/Owego area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just called a boat sales and repair company in Syracuse, and they recommended Willey Lumber, 100 Hartwell Ave East Syracuse, NY 13057 Phone: (315) 437-3344.

    I called Willey, and they do have marine grade plywood in stock, but only 1/2" and 3/4" thickness, so any other thickness would be a special order. I'm afraid that you might be dealing with a special order circumstance no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Liverpool Lumber also carries marine grade plywood.

      201 N Willow Street Liverpool, NY 13088 315-457-2220

      Delete