Monday, April 22, 2013

Epoxies and Hardeners Are Quite Frightening

I went to look for epoxy over the weekend with my dad, at the Sailing Center. Not only must you buy the epoxy (99$ a gallon), but you must buy hardener (45$) and pumps (13$). It comes with massive amounts of writing on how to use it, and how dangerous it can be. This is a lot of money to spend, and there were a lot of different things to consider. I wanted to just take the manual home, read it, think, and then make some choices. I've never been good at making decisions, and they sort of stress me out. But, no one really listened to me. Suddenly I found myself leaving. epoxy in hand. I wasn't even sure epoxy was the best way to go. But now I have it, which means I can keep moving forward, which is great. I'm very grateful that I have it now-I'm just a little nervous.

Why am I afraid to use epoxy?
It came with a 30 page user's manual.
It is a skin irritant, which can cause a rash similar to poison ivy.
It irritates the eyes, and especially the lungs. A respirator or a mask is required for its use.
Large quantities (over 8 fluid ounces) can melt plastic containers, then burn you.
And epoxy's hardener can spontaneously combust if it comes into contact with sawdust. (!)
All of these hazards apply until the epoxy has cured fully, which can take a couple of hours.
Disposal is extremely particular (to avoid explosions, melted plastic, and the risk of accidental contact later), the temperature you can use it in is extremely particular (70 degrees is perfect)
What happens if you spill this stuff? (There are spill clean-up directions, but still)
There is a very short amount of time where the epoxy and its hardener are in "open time" or a liquid phase, which means you have to use it very fast.

Here are the precautions I'll need to take before using:
Wear skin cream (which acts as protection over the skin)
Cover as much skin as possible.
Rubber gloves
Eye protection (and I'm worried the goggles I have now are not going to be quite enough)
Ventilation-which the best I can do is have the door and windows of the garage open and have a fan/several fans going.
Wear a respirator (A friend recommended a place to get one, the auto body repair shop on the old route 13)
And I'll add my own: having lots of soap and water near by.

No comments:

Post a Comment