Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Breaks are tough when it comes to WISE projects

I haven't posted in a while. It's April break, and I have just returned home from Vermont, where I was not able to work on my project. In a day or so I'll be heading to Baltimore, which means I'm not left with too many mornings to spend getting messy in the driveway. I didn't really realize how much of this break I would be away for. However, during my visit to Vermont, my uncle, who does a ton of woodworking, carpentry, and building, gave me a lot of useful advice. We talked about how to use jigsaws, which kind of blade, how to bevel (or sort of slope) the edges of a piece of wood, and several other things. This was all very helpful. (Thank you uncle Joe!)

I spent this morning attempting to draw the lines for the bottom plank of wood. I used the chalk line (thank you Mr. Heurich for telling me how that works), found it to be very cool and fun to use.  But, there is a problem that I cannot seem to figure out for the life of me. The cutting guide in the plans tell me that if I draw the center line diagonally across the 4x8, I should have a line that is 12' 4''. No matter how I measure it is only ever 9 ft. I've done the triangle math, measured, and measured again, and I'm still really not sure how this one is supposed to work. Perhaps it is cut as two different pieces, but this is said no where in the plans, and it worries me to have a seam across the bottom of the boat. Perhaps a little more puzzling will help me figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment